Catholic Church built in 1861
(Taken from New London Buyers' Guide/Hortonville Centennial, August 16, 1994. Posted with permission from the Press-Star, New London/Hortonville, Wisconsin.)
Catholic families in Hortonville were visited by Oshkosh or Appleton priests and mass was held in private homes until 1861.
That year, a frame church was built on the corner of Nash and Cedar Streets.
Hortonville was attached to Greenville as a mission from 1870 to 1878.
From 1878 to 1897 a New London priest celebrated mass in Hortonville every other Sunday.
The present brick - Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church - was built by the Rev. P. L. Gasper in 1892. Five years later, Rev. Joseph Hemmer was the first resident pastor.