(Taken from New London Buyers' Guide/Hortonville Centennial, August 16, 1994. Posted with permission from the Press-Star, New London/Hortonville, Wisconsin.)
The earliest history of the Community Baptist Church can be traced back, practically, to the time of the first settlements in the village. Matthew McComb one of the founders of the Church, bought the first lumber sawed at the saw mill built in 1849 of what is now Mill and Bath Streets, and made a roof for his cabin in the woods.
During the early years of establishing their homes in the wilderness, the settlers did not neglect things of spiritual and religious. References indicate that they gave the building of the church early consideration. They met in the homes and in a school house until a church building was available.
The church was organized, after a series of revival meetings, by elder E. J. Keeville in 1954.
During the beginning period of in the history of the church, members of the Congregational church residents here, joined with the Baptist in the use of the building and shared the joint expenses in maintaining it.
The deed shows the agreement that provided that the building was to be used on alternate Sundays by each group.
The deed to the property shows it was purchased from William and Mary Briggs on November 18, 1863 for $50.00.
The building was rectangular in shape, with the pulpit in the north end and the entrance under the belfry at the south end. There was no basement under the building, but it stood on stilts.
On June 25, 1906, there being only two surviving Congregational members left, Hugh Hagen and Margaret Dow, they gave a quit claim deed of their interests to the Baptist Church.